The Northfield Middle School faculty members of TEAM UP (Teaching English Language Learners Action Model to Unite Professionals) are hosting a multicultural music and service night on April 5 at the middle school. This event is a symbolic representation of the spirit behind a two-year grant project. The public is invited to enjoy these scheduled events:
- 6:30 – 7:15 p.m. Service Learning Projects
- 7:20 – 7:40 p.m. Aztec Dancers performance
- 7:40 – 8:00 p.m. Elinor Niemisto’s Harp Trio
- 8:00 – 8:10 p.m. “Cultural Revolution” Minnesota History Day student documentary showing
- 8:10 – 8:30 p.m. Gao Hong and the Carleton Chinese Music Ensemble performance
Teachers Ruben Alvarez, Krista Betcher, Chris O’Neill, Katrina Meehan, and Sarah VandenAkker have comprised one of five teams state-wide that were chosen to collaborate with the University of Minnesota in promoting best practices in English Language Learner education.
This event is funded in part, by the Minnesota State Arts Board through the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund. Additional local support has been graciously provided by the Healthy Community Initiative with funding from the Northfield Area United Way and a Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services grant.