Enrolling Your Child at Northfield Public Schools
If you are new to the district or have a kindergarten student to enroll, please enroll your child at the school that they will attend while school is in session (between mid-August and mid-June), if possible. Contact the school office to make an appointment. If you need to enroll your student during the summer months (mid-June to mid-August), you may register your student at the district office by calling 507.663.0629.
If you have an elementary student and are unsure which school attendance area you live in, visit the District Boundaries page. The map will assist you in determining which school attendance area you live in or you may contact the district office at 507.663.0629 for assistance.
Children who are five years old on or before September 1 are eligible to begin kindergarten. A copy of your child’s original birth certificate from the county in which the child was born will be required for kindergarten entrance.
State law requires all students to complete Early Childhood Screening before they enter kindergarten. Visit the Early Childhood Screening page for more information and to schedule an appointment for a screening.
Parents of middle school (grades 6-8) and high school (grades 9-12) students transferring to Northfield Public Schools from another school district should contact Northfield Middle School (507.663.0664) or Northfield High School (507.663.0636) to make an appointment with a school guidance counselor who will assist you in enrolling and registering your student for classes.
Please come prepared by filling out the required forms below.
State law requires all students to meet specific immunization requirements at different grade levels before they attend school:
A copy of your student’s current immunization record must be on file at school. Scroll down to the section called Required Enrollment Forms to fill out the immunization form called, “Pupil Immunization Record.”
Open Enrollment or Non Resident Agreement
If you have just moved into the Northfield School District, but would prefer your child to continue to attend the school in your old school district or you do not live in the Northfield School District and would like your child to attend the Northfield School District, you will need to complete an Open Enrollment Form or a Non Resident Agreement Form.
Minnesota’s Open Enrollment Program allows families to apply to send their student to any public school district in Minnesota.
Open Enrollment is the process by which you apply for enrollment in a district other than the district in which you reside. It is similar to a Non Resident Agreement, except there are state mandated timeframes and guidelines. Students must apply to the school district of their choice by January 15 for attendance the following fall. Transportation is provided by the parent/guardian.
For those families who decide after January 15 to enroll their student in another school district, a Non Resident Agreement form needs to be completed. The Non Resident Agreement needs to be approved first by the district in which you live and then by the district in which you would like your child to attend. This agreement is valid ONLY for the current school year. Transportation is provided by the parent/guardian.
If you have further questions, you may call the District Office at 507.663.0629.
Required Enrollment Forms
Parents may request an enrollment packet from a school or access the forms online. You may choose to print the entire enrollment packet and complete it by hand or type into the fillable forms listed individually. All forms must be submitted in printed form. Bus registration forms are not available in fillable format, so please remember to print and complete with pen.
- K-12 Student Enrollment Form / K-12 Formulario de Inscripción del Alumno
- Request for Records: Elementary / Middle School / High School
- Health & Emergency Information / Informacion de Salud o en Caso de Emergencio
- Home Language Questionnaire / Idioma Principal Cuestionario
- Pupil Immunization Record / Registro de Vacunación del Alumno
- K – 5 Bus Registration Form
- 6 – 12 Bus Registration Form
Other Enrollment Forms
Intra District Transfer
- Intra District Transfer Request 2013-14 / Formulario de asistencia entre distritos 2013-14
- Intra District Transfer Request 2012-13 / Formulario de asistencia entre distritos 2012-13
- Homeschool Full Report – This form is to be printed, filled out and mailed or submitted electronically to the Superintendent by October 1 of each year, or within 15 days of withdrawing a child from public school to homeschool.
- Letter of Intent to Continue Homeschooling - This form is to be printed, filled out and mailed or submitted electronically to the Superintendent by October 1 of each year after the instructor has provided the district with a Full Report.
- Application for Shared Time Enrollment of Home School Students