Welcome to Northfield Public Schools, your home for lifelong learning and one of the finest school districts in Minnesota. From preschoolers to elementary and secondary students to adult learners, we have highly experienced and educated staff and quality programs ready to serve your learning needs. We’re very proud of the work we do and believe there is no other job more important to the future of our communities, our country and our world.
The mission of Northfield Public Schools is to deliver educational excellence that empowers all learners to participate in our dynamic world. This mission is ambitious, but one that we believe we must constantly strive to achieve. It is solidly grounded in our belief in public education and lifelong learning for our diverse population and the need to create a positive learning environment based on shared responsibility and shared decision-making.
Northfield Public Schools has focused its energy on six key strategies or goals:
- Quality Education – We will hire and retain highly qualified educators and provide them with ongoing support and training to deliver high quality instruction that meets the unique needs of all learners.
- Stewardship – We will consistently demonstrate good stewardship by analyzing information, prioritizing needs and managing our financial, physical and human resources to support our mission.
- Climate – We will create and strengthen an environment that fosters mutual respect, responsibility and rigor, and ensures the right to physical, emotional and intellectual safety for every person.
- Communication and Partnerships – We will build and strengthen bridges of open communication that engage staff, students, families and communities as effective partners in education.
- Curricular Outcomes – We will implement a consistent, comprehensive and challenging set of curricular outcomes that reach and engage all learners.
- Diversity – We will implement plans and practices that foster full participation by all learners and that address issues that include but are not limited to race, gender, culture, religion, sexual orientation, language, disabilities and socio-economic factors.
Underpinning our goals has been a strong commitment to providing integrated technology and communication throughout the District. Students and staff have ready access in classrooms and computer labs to application software like word processing, spreadsheet and database programs, interactive instructional programs and expanded opportunities to use the power of the Internet for research and data collection.
Recent successful bond and levy elections have demonstrated the strong support of the community for children and schools. Our parents continue to speak out strongly in support of our schools and the need for adequate funding from both the state and federal level.
Individual students, groups of students, and teachers have won acclaim at the regional, state and national level for excellent performance in both academic and co-curricular activities. Every day outstanding teaching and learning occurs at all levels and at all schools.
We look forward to serving you and hope you find our website a valuable tool as you explore the Northfield Public Schools. Our website is designed to provide in depth information about our programs, curriculum and services. We look forward to serving you and our communities in the future.
L. Chris Richardson, Ph.D.