Each employee of Northfield Public Schools is encouraged to help promote safety and health and to help spot and correct hazards and unsafe practices. The Safety Committee will follow up on employee concerns and investigate possible solutions to safety issues.
The mission of Northfield Public School Districts Safety Committee is to develop, promote and maintain a safe and healthy environment throughout, to identify issues and find solutions of safety concerns and promote a safe and secure environment for all staff, students and community.
- To establish a system to obtain safety related suggestions, reports of hazards and other information from all persons involved in the operations of their workplace.
- To review accident trends, investigate causes and recommend preventative measures when appropriate.
- To assist and advise management and employees on matters of safety and health pertaining to school operations.
The committee includes the head custodian of each building, the director of Building & Grounds, and at least five other members, ideally representing each building and collective bargaining unit. Members will serve two-year terms. Members include:
Elizabeth Bade, District
Health & Wellness Coordinator
Tracy Closson, District
Cecelia Green, Greenvale Park Elementary
Child Nutrition Manager
Steve Hill, Middle School
Laurie Larsen, Longfellow School
Kevin Larson, District
Director of Buildings and Grounds
Rhea Miller, Bridgewater Elementary
Mark Harder, High School
Ron Oeltjenbruns, Bridgewater Elementary
Laurie Prior, District
Receptionist/Maintenance & Technology Secretary
Keith Nohava, Greenvale Park Elementary
Kim Slegers, High School
Daniel Warner, Sibley Elementary
John Taylor, Longfellow School
Jenniver Valek, Bridgewater Elementary
1. All concerns should be made in writing to any member of the Safety Committee. The Safety Committee member will seek to have the concern addressed at the building level or refer the concern to be reviewed by the Safety Committee if it cannot be resolved at the building level.
2. The chairperson of the Safety Committee and the Director of Buildings & Grounds shall schedule meetings of the committee when concerns are referred.
3. The committee will review and make recommendations regarding the concern, or refer it to the appropriate department in a timely manner.
You can also report a safety concern by using this form:
Some examples of the safety concerns addressed from 1999-2011:
- Fence with gate installed on the north end of the playground at Longfellow School, chain across playground entrance to keep out traffic.
- Bus lines at the Middle School and Bridgewater Elementary.
- Moved basketball poles to new playground at Bridgewater Elementary.
- Crosswalk painted in at the High School and Greenvale Park Elementary.
- Parking lot lights installed at Sibley Elementary and Longfellow School.
- Bleachers have or are being updated to comply with new codes.
- Drainage work at the High School.
- Gate used at the High School for traffic control.